Current national U20 team goalkeepers’ coach, Aloysius Uzoma Agu, in this exclusive interview with Saturday Sunsport dismissed insinuations that he was responsible for
Nigeria’s exit from the 1992 edition of the Africa Cup of Nations in Senegal. Our correspondent caught up with the former RC Liege of Belgium shot-stopper in Lagos, where he shared his experience in the national team.

Tell us about the early beginning of your career
Well, for every normal kid growing up, it starts when you are small. I guess I’m lucky because the passion for the game paid off through my uncle. I played on the streets like other kids without soccer boots.


Can you shed more light on this?
Yes of course. I remember vividly when I was still young, I was in primary school back then in the old Bendel State; uncle, Vin Julis was a very good goalkeeper, so whenever he was going to the field to play, he always took me along. And I watched him making saves between the sticks and really before I knew it, I took interest in playing as a goal-keeper.

Was there any particular event that placed you on the spotlight while growing up?

Yes. There was this day that I finally got the opportunity to prove my worth. I was part of my primary school’s football team and, unfortunately, the guy that kept me out of the first
team got injured. The coach called on me as a replacement, and in the middle of the match, I made a terrific save by stopping a goal-bound shot. And, the rest is history as I
became a regular in the team. So from there, you made your mark on the domestic scene.

Can you tell us the clubs you played for in Nigeria and Eu­rope?
Well, I played for few clubs in Nigeria before going to Europe. I remember playing for ITT Waves, NEPA, ACB of Lagos, and BCC Lions of Gboko. From there I played for NVV in the
Dutch league, RC liege in Belgium, and Kaysiepor in Turkey all in Europe. My North American adventure was with Toronto Impact, Canada and Indiana Invaders in America.

What was it like playing for the national team?
When you play for the national team, I must tell you, it is a worthwhile experience to cherish. I consider it, first of all as a grace, then privilege. I thank the country for giving me the opportunity to wear the national colours. My brother, it’s no small feat. Life is an opportunity, so I’m lucky to have represented this country.

Football in your days was quite different from what it is now. Can you tell us the difference?
Well, it is a different era now. The game has evolved and so are the players. In my own days, you play for the passion and the zeal to represent the country. Our approach to the
game was based on passion, commitment, and hard work.
Any other thing after these were secondary.

Do you mean there is no future in the present crop of play­ers?
Don’t get me wrong. I said we had those features in our own playing days, I never said it was missing in our present crop of players. The bottom line is for” every success you need tomake a sacrifice”. So any player that wants to excel as a footballer needs to imbibe those elements into his game.

Do you think the country has quality goalkeepers today?
I have no doubt about the quality of goalkeepers at our disposal. The future is bright for the country when it comes to recruiting quality goalkeepers for the national team. I am
optimistic, when it comes to that department, the country has
not done badly.

AFCON is taking place this year without the Super Eagles. What is your take on this?
That is football for you it comes with bag of surprises.nLiverpool needed a win to go through against Basel, but they drew. It is sad that the country will not be taking part in thentournament but we should look beyond the present, and focus on the future. I believe we can get back to where we ought to be in African football by avoiding the pitfalls that led
us to where we are now.

Back to Senegal 92, what happened in the semi-final loss to Ghana?
Hahaaaaahhaa..(laughs), we are in 2015 and you’re bringingnup something that happened in 1992. How am I going to con­vince Nigerians that the second goal that Abedi Pele scored
with his head is not what people thought- It was a slow ball that crept to the far-corner of the goal post, which I ought tonhave caught”. I don’t like to be made a scape goat for that
defeat. It is neither my fault nor the defenders’ fault. If we win, we all take the glory and, if it’s the other way, we all share in the blame. Even Abedi Pele came out to tell the world
that it wasn’t my fault. “Interestingly, you are bringing up the Ghana issue, but you forgot that I made a crucial penalty save against Cameroon that earned us bronze medal for thethird place, hmmmm… I rest my case.

What about the most memorable game for you?
Nigeria versus Uzbekistan, Afro-Asian Cup final that we won3-2 is a memorable match for me. And also the World Cup qualifier against Cameroon, which we lost by a lone goal.

Post a Comment

 
Top